Wednesday, January 29, 2014

I swear... this has never happened to me before...

I've been having a strange and embarrassing situation going on for the last few weeks.  I know... it happens to everybody once in a while... shake it off...

But dammit, this is the first time this is ever happened to me, I swear.

I'm about a month and a half past deadline on my latest Whatculture article.

Note - this is, in and of itself, not the unusual part.  I have what can be generously described as a 'freespirited' attitude toward deadlines there.  I like to think of it as a tribute to Douglas Adams.

No, what's unusual is the reason for the delay. 

Let me start at the beginning.  On November 24th of last year I picked up a commission from WC entitled '10 reasons why An Adventure in Space and Time was the best drama of the year'.  I was excited about it, because it clearly was.  I mean, David Bradley alone...  But I digress. 

I've been totally blocked.

It's not that I don't have anything to say about it.  I have lots to say about it.  Way too much to say about it.  So much, in fact, that I'm afraid I'll leave something out, and then I start worrying about how to structure it so that I get to everything, and then yes I would love a glass of wine to calm my nerves and then suddenly it's January.

I've even - and this is unprecedented - reviewed the material while taking notes.  Which is really noteworthy, because as most of you know I am an amazingly lazy writer when it comes right down to it.

And so I am reduced to this.  I'm airing this dirty laundry here, dear reader, because I suspect that it will shame me into finally finishing the piece.  I've scheduled myself from 3:00 pm CST until 7 pm CST tomorrow to finally buckle down and get the thing done.  I only hope that the editorial staff are in a forgiving mood upon its submission.  Feel free to mock me on Friday if I haven't gotten it submitted.  You might even consider throwing rocks.

I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment