Friday, June 21, 2013

Sean Bean v. The Summer Solstice


For those who might not be au fait with such things, today is the Summer Solstice.

Which means that today is the day that the northern hemisphere experiences the longest period of daylight during the year.  After tonight the days start slowly getting shorter again, until we get to the Winter Solstice in late December and they start getting longer again.  Lather.  Rinse.  Repeat.

If one is of the Wiccan school of thought (and I should mention here that although I have more than a couple friends who are, I myself am not.  Vizsla's remain firmly in the Rational Empiricist camp.  So you should probably take my observations on the Wiccan philosophy with a healthy dose of 'it's more or less in the ballpark broadly speaking, look, I'm doing my best here')

Ahem...

If one is of the Wiccan school of thought, today is a very important day because it marks the transition for nature from one cycle to the next.  Sort of.  Kinda.    So one thing that one might do today is to reflect on the importance of darkness returning to the world and the balance between states, and that sort of thing.  At the Winter Solstice, when one is reflecting on the importance of the return of light to the world, one might light a candle, symbolically ushering in the return of sun (which is a tad animistic of a description, but we're in the general ballpark of accurate, so I will simply ask Marc, Melissa, et all. to look leniently upon me.)

So, Conversely, when one is reflecting on the return of darkness, I suppose you might choose to symbolically respect that by snuffing a candle.

Which brings me to Sean Bean

Honestly, is it necessary to kill him in every single thing he ever appears in?

Goldeneye- Dead.  Lord of the Rings - Dead.  Game of Thrones - REALLY dead.  And the list goes on.  Seriously, does the guy give off some sort of 'I'd like to run a spear through that!' kind of vibe?

Honestly.  Being the face of the 'One does not simply...' meme does NOT make up for the fact that all of Hollywood apparently wants to butcher you.


No comments:

Post a Comment