Monday, June 3, 2013

The Roman Empire probably did not fall due to a burrito grande. But still...

This afternoon for lunch I decided to swing by a Mexican fast food chain restaurant which I will not specifically identify, because I am not entirely up to speed on libel law.  I can however tell you that in print it's libel, if spoken it's slander.  So you can't say that you learned nothing today.  Unless you already knew that and spend the rest of the day in a yurt in which case say whatever you want, who am I to judge.

To get back on track - I asked for the lunch special featuring the Burrito Grande to go. 

To which the person behind the counter - dutifully reading the prompt off of her screen - said 'Will that be for here or to go?'

And since I'm not one to make a big deal about the little things, I simply said 'To go, please'

And in the time it took me to think 'That's kind of what I meant when I said 'to go'', she came back with.  'All right.  Did you want that to go?'

And I said, 'Yes.  Thanks.'

And I was duly given my receipt and waited for my order to come up and that was that.

Now, I'm not one to advocate making a big douchey scene over every little thing, and I know that working in fast food is no picnic and it's easy to get distracted.  I'm on board with all that.  But where exactly does the line fall between 'Not being a big jackass about every little thing' and 'refusing to accept the gradual erosion of even the basic civil nicities and protocols'?

Sure, today it's just having to repeat your to go request a few times.  Before you know it one thing leads to another and the mean kids from gym class are beating up your grandmother.

Ok, there may be a bit of a leap there.

It's about standards.  That's all I'm saying.

'Once I have caused the collapse of your society I shall rule you with an iron fist!'

(It's a burrito in a beret, in case that's not entirely clear)

(We should call him 'General Beret-to'

No comments:

Post a Comment