Saturday, June 1, 2013

When you think about it, there just aren't a lot of really cool Joans

It goes without saying (except that I'm going to go ahead and say it.  Which, really, everybody does immediately after saying 'it goes without saying', which makes you wonder why we bother with the phrase in the first place.  But I digress...)

It goes without saying that Joan Jett and the Blackhearts' greatest hits album is just about the best guilty pleasure record out there.  In point of fact, I really tried to use The Blackhearts in The great Vizsla Theoretical backup band knife fight discussion of last month.  Except that I couldn't think of anybody who stood a chance against them.  Not even the Robert Palmer girls, and they're cannibal robots.*

*Which may mean that they eat other robots... 

Allow me to take this opportunity to refer you to just one of the many reasons this album kicks ass - 


So clearly, Joan Jett is supercool.  But when you think about it, 'Joan' isn't a name that particularly lends itself to 'cool'

My name is Joan, and I'm cool anyway.
(Although I may have had a little work done...)

 The only other notable Joan's that I'd even consider in the catagory-

Cusack
Clearly the coolest Joan of all time
It's not her fault that her brother is apparently kind of a jerk in real life.


 Osborne
I know, I know.  I didn't used to think so either.
But I saw her make a really gracious acceptance speech once that made me think, '
Hey Joan Osborne.  You're pretty cool.


 Of Arc
Come on.
She was pretty awesome.


I'm glad that we've settled this issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment